Last updated on March 24th, 2022 at 06:48 pm.
What is the best wifi router for 2 floors? The internet is so much a part of daily life that it’s hard to believe some people don’t have it in their homes. The rise of cellular networks is also continuing, but many users still need to supplement this service with wifi routers for their homes. Here are some things to keep in mind if you’re building a new home or upgrading an existing one. How do you get 2 floors on WiFi? Just you have to choose a perfect router whose signal range covers 1000 to 1500 square feet area. It can be used for 2 floors house.
The Best WiFi Router For 2 Floors House
- 1 How to choose the best WiFi router for two floors house?
- 2 How do I extend Wi-Fi to second floor?
- 3 What is the fastest WiFi router?
- 4 What is the fastest Wi-Fi speed?
- 5 How do I get internet upstairs when my router is downstairs?
- 6 What size router do I need for my house?
- 7 How do I extend my WiFi range from 1st floor to 3rd floor?
- 8 How to setup wifi in a two-story home?
- 9 Best WiFi Extender for 3 floors
- 10 How do I extend my WiFi signal to another building 400 feet away?
- 11 Best mesh router for 2500 sq ft house
- 12 WiFi 6 router with best range
- 13 Best router for 1000 sq ft house
- 14 Best router for 2000 sq ft house
- 15 Why should router not be on floor?
- 16 What is the difference between a WiFi booster and a WiFi extender?
- 17 Can you use a router as a WiFi extender?
- 18 What is the longest range WiFi extender?
- 19 Does a WiFi extender slow down Internet speed?
- 20 How can I extend my WiFi without losing speed?
- 21 How can I extend my WiFi over long distance?
- 22 Which is better Netgear or Linksys WiFi extender?
- 23 How do I setup 2 wireless routers on one router?
- 24 Can having 2 routers cause problems?
- 25 How can I use two wireless routers without cable?
- 26 Final words
- 27 FAQs
How to choose the best WiFi router for two floors house?
Can router cover 2 floors? Yes, not only 2 floor, there are many high-capacity routers with high signal strength can cover even multiple floors. Which WiFi router is best for 2 floor house? When you are ready to choose a WiFi router for your two story house, you must consider the below factors.
TP-Link Deco Mesh WiFi Router (Deco M5) can be chosen for Two-story House
Considerations to choose the best WiFi router for two-story house – Buying guide
- Signal range of the router: To avail high speed internet in a 2 floors house, you must consider the range of the WiFi router . As per your house area you must consider a long range router which cover minimum 1000 to 1500 square feet. Because most of the router does not cover the range as promised. So you have to choose a router which allowable range is higher than the estimation for a stable connection.
- Security features: To consider the built-in security features in a wifi router before purchasing is a very good practice. A secure router is one that has a good balance between general-purpose functionality and the ability to prioritize and filter traffic so that sensitive information can be kept safe. It may reduce your expenditure on VPN or Antivirus software.
- Number of Bands: For a 2 floors house, you need to choose a router which serves your purposes perfectly. Most of the routers of the market comes with dual band; which is good enough for most people. However, if you are planning to use your router for multitasking or you are a pro gamer / heavy user, a tri-band or even a multi-band one is advised.
- Number of Antennas: Wireless standard wi-fi for 2 story house must require antennas. For confirming good signals from a router, antennas play the role there. Just need to put the antenna in that required direction and enjoy the maximum signal. So, must check if there are enough & moveable antennas available in your router.
- QoS & MIMO feature availability: To ensure uninterrupted wi-fi signal your router must contain the latest QoS & MIMO features. Check your router model here. Prioritize gaming, video, voice calls, and file transfers: To set up an area that offers the best connectivity, the router’s scheduling feature must be turned on.
How can I get better WiFi in my two-story house? Even if you have chosen the perfect wifi router for 2 floors house, you may not get the perfect signal from all expected regions, if you do not place your router in the central location of your 2 story house or multiple floors. So you have to be serious for router placement to ensure the perfect network connectivity or internet connection.
How do I extend Wi-Fi to second floor?
If you have an existing router that does not cover your second floor, you just have to get a Wifi extender or repeater connected to your existing router as an access point (AP). Once you have determined the required placement of your router for good connectivity, you can start with a connection extender for 2floors. After installation of your new AP, just get your devices connected to the new SSID and password.
How do I add a second router to upstairs?
To add a second router to upstairs, you have to perform the below tasks:
- Measure the total area of your existing area including upstairs. Devide total area into 2 sections.
- Define a central location in each section for router placement.
- Extend the UTP cable up to defined location in section 1 and get another UTP cable from 1st router to second router
- Then configure the 2nd router as a AP (access point)
What is the fastest WiFi router?
There are some fastest WiFi routers till today available in the market. Among them Netgear Nighthawk X10 AD7200, Linksys Max-Stream AC5400 TRI-BAND are the most popular.
What is the fastest Wi-Fi speed?
In Qatar, the average mobile data speed is 178.01 Mbps, which is the fastest Wi-Fi speed in the world.
And in UAE (United Arab Emirates) the mobile data speed is 177.52 Mbps, which is the second–fastest Wi-Fi speed in the world.
The US has an impressive internet download speed of 71.3 Mbps, making it one of the 20 fastest in the world, according to data from Worldwide Speed League.
How do I get internet upstairs when my router is downstairs?
Will a WiFi extender help upstairs? Yes, definitely. If your downstairs router’s signal does not cover the upstairs, you need to create new wifi access points by installing a wifi extender or repeater. Apart from that you can replace your existing router with a double storey house tp-link router.
Is it better to put router upstairs or downstairs?
Can I have a second router upstairs? If you want to cover 2 floors with a single router, you have to detect the central location to place the router. This way you can get a better signal from both floors.
What size router do I need for my house?
Every router has its own specification and capacity. To get the perfect router for your house, you need to consider below:
- Area of your house
- Number of devices you want to get connected with the router
- Usage load of your devices
With these factors, you can easily choose the perfect router for your house.
How do I extend my WiFi range from 1st floor to 3rd floor?
If you want to have Wi-Fi coverage on the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd floor; place your 1st-floor router at the central location of the roof, and place the 3nd-floor router at the central location of the floor. You can use a Wi-Fi extender for the 3rd floor instead of a router. A wireless extender acts as a wireless bridge and provides wireless signals to multiple floors.
What is a repeater? A repeater is used to boost the Wi-Fi coverage area of your router or the 3rd-floor router. This device is usually placed at a location where there is low signal strength. Although it does not provide the speed as a router, it will extend the range of your WiFi up to 30 times.
How to setup wifi in a two-story home?
To set up Wi-Fi in two-story home, you need to follow to following steps:
- First, choose a central location of the roof and place your router there.
- Then, place an access point at the central location of the floor, and place another access point at the central location of the second floor.
- Once you place an access point at the central location of the floor, connect it to your router.
After connecting it to your router, you will find two access points. Then, you need to select the network name of one access point and the password of another access point.
Best WiFi Extender for 3 floors
There are many wifi extenders available in the market which are designed to cover at least 3 floors. Using a wifi extender will cover an extra distance between a router and the laptop or desktop. Most of the wifi extenders available in the market today have their functions enabled by their 5GHz bands. So what wifi extender is best for 3 floors? I have listed a few best wifi extenders below for you.
TP-Link AC750 WiFi Extender (RE220)
You can cover 3 floors with this wifi extender. It covers up to 1200 square feet area and is able to handle 20 devices at the same time.
- Super fast & easy to set up, provide a great signal.
- Almost plug & play WiFi extender
- Inexpensive, Worth the money
- Features are very flexible
- Remarkable customer service
- Does not work with spectrum internet
NETGEAR Wi-Fi Range Extender EX6120
It covers 1500 square feet and is able to handle 25 devices at the same time. It provides up to 1200 Mbps Wi-Fi speed.
- Very effective and simple to set up
- It leads to amazing improvement in wifi
- Allows stronger connection for Ring stick-up camera
- Cheaper and money worthy
- Tech support does not maintain the standard
TP-Link AC1200 WiFi Extender (RE300)
It covers 1500 square feet and is able to handle 25 devices at the same time. It supports OneMesh. It provides a dual-band internet repeater and range booster.
- Great speed and signal with uninterrupted performance.
- Easy to configure
- Proper device to spend money
- Perfect to handle 25 devices approximately
- Not found
TP-Link AC1200 WiFi Extender(RE315)
This TP-Link AC1200 Wifi Extender covers 1500 square feet and is able to handle 25 devices at a time. You can use this device as an access point (AP). It supports TP-Link OneMesh also.
- Universally compatible with WiFi routers like Orbi, Linksys.
- Allows to create separate WiFi name and password
- Awesome performance
- Easy to use
- Supports TP-Link OneMesh
- Nothing special, just check during purchase for any defective hardware
NETGEAR WiFi Range Extender EX5000
The NETGEAR Wifi Range Extender EX5000 is a very good device to extend the Wi-Fi range. It covers 1500 Square Feet and can connect 25 devices seamlessly.
- Able to cover 1500 sq ft
- Easily handles about 25 wireless devices
- No additional noise
- Great for home use
- Easy to install
- There are some complaints about signal
How do I extend my WiFi signal to another building 400 feet away?
These days it is very common to have many people living in a single house. It is also more likely that you have a neighbor on the other side of your home and you are looking for ways to transfer your WiFi signal. The biggest problem is that you do not have a signal from your router from outside. You need to split a WiFi signal over the distance and connect it to a Wi-Fi point on the other side of your home. To accomplish this, you need to use a WiFi range extender.
Best mesh router for 2500 sq ft house
Mesh routers are very popular nowadays. Many internet users choose them as they provide a huge wireless coverage area. They are designed with outdoor Ethernet switches that connect all the devices to the router. The mesh network routers also provide a good solution to the router and Wi-Fi issues. If you want to share the WiFi signal in your house and get rid of the router, you can use mesh network routers.
Here there are some best mesh routers for 2500 sq ft you can choose from:
Amazon eero mesh WiFi system – 2 pack
- Covers around 3000 sq. feet area
- Works with alexa
- Easy to set up even for non-tech users
- Used TrueMesh technology
- Game-Changing Price for Mesh System
- Tri-band device is better than dual-band
NETGEAR Orbi Whole Home Tri-band Mesh WiFi 6 Add-on Satellite (RBS750)
- Capable to cover 2500 sq. feet.
- Works with RBK752 Orbi WiFi 6 System
- Very fast, so effective for streaming, HD video gaming, and web conferencing
- Movable losing connectivity
- Great user interface
- Get what you paid for
- Auto-update the firmware without notifying or asking permission
NETGEAR Orbi Ultra-Performance Whole Home Mesh WiFi Satellite Extender – AC3000 (RBS50)
- Able to cover up to 2500 sq. feet.
- Maximum speed 3.0Gbps
- Allows moving without losing connectivity
- Extra-ordinary mesh network performance
- Patented tri-band technology
- Only works with an Orbi Whole Home Mesh WiFi Router
- Get firmware backup before upgrading the firmware
Amazon eero 6 dual-band mesh Wi-Fi 6 system – Covers 3000 sq. feet
- Amazon Eero 6 dual-band mesh Wi-Fi 6 systems covers around 3000 sq. feet
- Supports up to 500Mbps speed
- Can connect 75+ wireless devices
- You can set it up within minutes
- Lightning fast, even 4k movies play smoothly
- Simple conversion with the awesome mesh system
- Requires “network monitoring” app
WiFi 6 router with best range
We can recommend below best WiFi router with the best range:
ASUS AX6000 WiFi 6 Gaming Router (RT-AX88U)
TP-Link AX6000 WiFi 6 Router – B07L56SN8M
Best router for 1000 sq ft house
Linksys WiFi 5 Router, It’s a Dual-Band device that supports 1,000 Sq. ft Coverage and can handle 10+ Devices, With up to 1.0Gbps Speeds (AC1000) – E5350
NETGEAR WiFi Router (R6080) – AC1000 Dual Band Wireless Router, it’s Speed up to 1000 Mbps, covers Up to 1000 sq ft & able to connect 15 devices
Linksys WiFi 5 Router, Dual-Band, provides 1,000 Sq. ft Coverage, and capable to connect 10+ Devices, Speeds up to1.2Gbps (AC1200) – EA6350-4B – B08547YKJD
Best router for 2000 sq ft house
TP-Link Deco Mesh WiFi Router (Deco M5) – Dual Band Gigabit Wireless Router, With Quad-core CPU, MU-MIMO Technology, supports HomeCare & Parental Control. This router covers Up to 2,000 sq. ft. area.
NETGEAR Nighthawk Smart WiFi Router (R7000P) – AC230; It’s Wireless Speed up to 2300 Mbps and it covers Up to 2000 sq ft area. It handles 35 wireless devices easily.
Linksys Mesh Wifi 5 Router – A tri-Band router provides 2,000 Sq. ft Coverage and connects 20+ Devices with 2.2Gbps speed (AC2200) – MR8300
NETGEAR Orbi Mesh WiFi Add-on Satellite – Works with Orbi Router, coverage up to 2,000 sq. ft, and speeds up to 2.2Gbps – RBS20, RBS20-100NAS
Tenda Nova Mesh WiFi System (MW6)-Up to 2000 sq. ft. It used MU-MIMO and Beamforming technology and provide a secured WiFi mesh network. It provides remote control via App. Comes with 3 years of product warranty – B078N3C3JX
Why should router not be on floor?
The router should not be put on the floor due to some valid reason. If you consider the problems associated with the router, most of them are related to small damage or wrong placement. So, why should the router not be on the floor? A router has many components including a processor, hard drive, power supply, and a lot more. So, placing the router on the floor will definitely reduce the life span of the router. Another reason why the router should not be placed on the floor is that it will create problems for the free movement of people in the apartment.
Can I put router on carpet?
Probably not! Why? Routing on the carpet is not as good as routing on concrete or other non-flammable surfaces. There are chances of the router getting derailed or damaged due to the falling of the router in an instance of accidental fall.
How do I hide my router and modem on the floor?
In case your router and modem are located on the floor, there is no need to hide them.
If you have the same doubt, feel free to read this entire article. As time goes on, the internet speed gets faster and faster.
What is the difference between a WiFi booster and a WiFi extender?
The difference between the two is only in the fact that one can be either a repeater or an extender and depending on the design, it can relay the signal to a longer distance. However, both of these devices act in the same way and help to spread the signal from one room to another.
Is a WiFi extender worth it?
This is also an age-old question that has no straightforward answer. It’s all about how long you need the device to work. For example, if you want your signal to reach a few miles away and want to do this in the shortest time possible, then definitely a WiFi extender would be worth the money. However, if you only need to extend the signal for a few feet, then it would be pointless to buy one.
Can you use a router as a WiFi extender?
Yes. In fact, the best way to do this is to use a router as a repeater. With a WiFi extender, you might have to have an extra box that is not easy to carry around and install. Most of the consumers who already have a router at home don’t know this, but it is possible to put that router to use as a WiFi extender.
What is the longest range WiFi extender?
As technology is getting strengthen day by day, it’s just impossible to identify the longest-range WiFi extender. We have been able to make an idea of the longest-range WiFi extender for your consideration:
CC Vector Extended Long Range WiFi Receiver System. This device works with all devices. It’s capable to receive Distant WiFi and Repeats to all WiFi devices in a new Location 2.4GHz. CC Vector Extended long-range WiFi receiver system covers 3 Miles of area.
EnGenius Technologies ENH500v3 Wi-Fi 5 WiFi extender is just an awesome device. It provides 5GHz Plug-n-Play Wireless Bridge, PTP/PTMP, IP55, 27dBm, 16 dBi High-Gain Antenna. The device is capable to cover a huge range of up to 5 Miles. It comes with Gigabit Port – B083JRFQ24
Does a WiFi extender slow down Internet speed?
There is a question around, does a WiFi extender slow down the speed of the internet? WiFi extenders don’t actually slow down or speed up the internet itself- they’re designed to amplify the WiFi signal coming from the modem and send it farther throughout your house or wherever you happen to be. In other words, you may get better signal coverage with a WiFi extender, but your internet speed won’t be affected.
How can I extend my WiFi without losing speed?
You can extend your WiFi without losing the internet speed simply by installing a WiFi repeater. A repeater will boost the original signal, making your wireless connection stronger and better than it was before you purchased a WiFi extender or amplified antenna. As long as you are still connected to the internet, a WiFi extender will not affect your internet speed.
How can I extend my WiFi over long distance?
If you want to extend the WiFi signal over a long distance, you need a WiFi repeater. A WiFi extender will only boost the existing WiFi signal strength, while a WiFi repeater amplifies your existing wireless router and transmits it further. A WiFi extender is easy to install. Simply position it in the ideal location and plug in the power. It will then reconnect to your wireless router and extend your WiFi network.
Which is better Netgear or Linksys WiFi extender?
In comparison, Linksys and Netgear WiFi extenders are mostly used by PC users because of their stylish design. If you choose to use a Netgear or Linksys extender, make sure that the brand fits your needs. According to life span, Netgear extenders have the longest life span compared to Linksys extenders. This can be related to better technology that the Netgear extender uses.
For Linksys extenders, it is more of a budget option since they are cheaper than the Netgear extenders, but they have a slower connection speed and fewer features.
How do I setup 2 wireless routers on one router?
How do I connect 2 routers together? This is just simple; configure one router as a router and configure the second router as an access point (AP). When you configure one router as an AP, all your other devices will have access to the Internet. They will be connected to the Internet through a wireless router, which is an AP. For most people, this setup is sufficient because all they need is Internet access.
Can having 2 routers cause problems?
Basically, 2 routers do not cause any problem, if they are on different channels; but still, they may slow down performance. You don’t need to worry about two routers conflicting with each other. If they’re on different channels, you’ll be good to go. For example, if one is set to channel 6, set the other to channel 13.
The better option is to use one router as a router and another router as an access point.
To make the other router an access point, you need to do the following:
- Connect the 2nd router with the main router via LAN ports
- In the 2nd router – Disable the DHCP server
- Define SSID and Wireless / WiFi Password
- Save and reboot the router.
Your 2nd router is ready to use and enjoy the internet connection.
Does having two routers slow Internet speed?
Yes, it may slow down internet speed on your network, especially if the computers are on the same WiFi as the router, if routers are on the same channel.
How can I use two wireless routers without cable?
To use two wireless routers without cable, you may disable DHCP on your router by going to its Network setup or LAN setup area and looking for a section with “DHCP” in its title. If the bridge router is connected to the main router, you can press the WPS button on both routers to connect them wirelessly. If the bridge isn’t connected to the main router, you can connect it by going to “Other devices” on the main router’s web GUI, then selecting “LAN connection”.
How far apart should 2 routers be?
It depends on the capacity of your router’s coverage. If you have a 5000 sq. ft. house, and both routers give you 5 bars, the distance between them should be around 15-20 feet. Just place your second router where you get at least 4 bars.
How far apart do wireless routers need to be?
How far apart should Wi-Fi routers be? The recommended distance between WiFi routers is between 100-500 feet. Too close and you’ll have interference; too far and the connection will be weak.
In this article, we have answered many questions about the best WiFi router for 2 floors, 3 floors, 1000 sq ft, 2000 sq ft, 2500 sq ft house, long-range WiFi extenders, and exclusive routers. If you still have questions, you can ask in the comment box below.
Yes, WiFi works on different floors depending on the WiFi signal coverage. You may extend the coverage with a WiFi Extender.
For the uninterrupted signal, you need to place the WiFi extender where 4 bars or WiFi signal is available from your main Wireless router.
By using wifi extender you can get Wi-Fi on top of your floor.
Yes, you can have. We have discussed the matter earlier.
It may, but not a good practice. For the best result, you may hang the router in a central place of your home or office.
You can get WiFi outside of your house by placing an outdoor WiFi Access Point.
Yes, router and modem can be placed closer or together.
Yes, you can have 2 different networks running through 1 router.
Yes, you can use 2 WiFi extenders without any problem.
There is a general rule of thumb when it comes to home networking and WiFi routers: the older 802.11a routers that ran on 5 GHz bands reached approximately one-third of the distances of the newer 802.11n and 802.11ac routers that operate on both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands.
Maybe the signal is very weak there. To get a stronger signal outside of your house, you may use an outdoor WiFi access point.
Adding a second router as a range extender can help improve your network’s signal strength and coverage. By creating a single network name, you can ensure that all of your devices connect to the router with the strongest signal.
WiFi extenders are used to extend the range of a wireless network. It depends on luck. Most of the time they last 1 to 5 years. For some cases, it can last more.
A WiFi booster increases the strength of a wireless network. A Wi-Fi extender aims to improve the coverage of a network.
A WiFi repeater increases the strength of a wireless network. A Wi-Fi extender aims to improve the coverage of a network.
You may consider TP-Link AC750 WiFi Extender (RE220) is a very popular WiFi extender that covers up to 1200 Sq.ft and can handle 20 devices seamlessly.
NETGEAR Wi-Fi Range Extender EX2700 is a very good WiFi repeater that provides coverage up to 800 Sq Ft and can handle up to 10 devices.