If you’re on the hunt for a good antivirus program, Avast is one of the top recommendations you’d likely face. So should i use Avast antivirus? This guide focuses on both the free program and premium antivirus Avast offers, how to use it to protect your devices and frequently asked questions about Avast antivirus.
Should I Use Avast Antivirus?
Avast antivirus is ideal for people in search of a branded antivirus program. Since 1995, the company behind Avast has been working hard to create a stable antivirus program that even its American competitor security software program company McAfee wanted to buy off their technology.
Avast turned down McAfee and continued offering a freeware antivirus program for its first 10 years until the company gained 20 million users by 2006. After going public, Avast now has over 435 million users from around the world.
Is Avast a trusted antivirus?
Like other security software companies, Avast had some bad decisions revolving around data privacy that resulted in losing loyal users. In 2012, Avast bought a Kickstarter-founded company called Jumpshot, which originally offered a PC-based software that removed viruses, spyware, etc. of machines.
From Avast’s purchase of Jumpshot until 2020, the company had reportedly collated browsing data of its users (from sites like YouTube, LinkedIn, Google Maps, and Google Search), repackaged such data, and offered it for sale via Jumpshot. These activities were all published by Vice and PCMag in 2020.
Avast quickly addressed the issue and shut down Jumpshot’s data-harvesting activities and said Avast will permanently close the program eventually.
This issue did take Avast stocks a dive in 2020, but the company was able to get back users’ trust by 2022 with stocks back from where it was before the Jumpshot issue came to light.
A promise by its CEO Ondrej Vlcek also helped, where he said: “The bottom line is that any practices that jeopardize user trust are unacceptable to Avast. We are vigilant about our users’ privacy, and we took quick action to begin winding down Jumpshot’s operations after it became evident that some users questioned the alignment of data provision to Jumpshot with our mission and principles that define us as a company.”
Is Avast a good antivirus to use?
Avast is one of the top 5 antivirus providers around the world. It is one of the most recognizable names in the software security industry and continues to serve over 435 million users worldwide.
Avast is still a good antivirus to use, both for residential use and business.
Is Avast free antivirus good?
If you can’t pay for the premium Avast, the free antivirus program offered to everyone by Avast can still detect viruses and protect your machine in real-time.
Avast free also has ransomware protection.
Even if you don’t subscribe to a paid Avast antivirus software anymore, your device will be protected from threats for as long as you keep your Avast working in the background.
However, Avast free cannot protect your device from threats that are already existing on your machine, since it cannot “fix” damages caused by viruses or malware.
Is Avast antivirus good for Android?
Like its desktop version, Avast Mobile Security for Android is offered both as free and paid versions. Both versions offer a lot of antivirus and malware detection features.
For those with an Android phone, Avast Mobile Security for Android is one of the most popular and most full-featured security apps available without charge. You do have to get used to plenty of ads, which you can remove if you go premium.
Is Avast safe for Android?
Avast Mobile Security for Android is safe to use. It was designed to prevent viruses, malware, and other threats from infecting your Android phone or other portable devices. It performs regular scans to detect vulnerabilities, threats, and malicious apps (so you are warned before installing them).
Avast Mobile Security for Android also notifies you and protects your device from malware-infected links on the web. Avast also verifies the security of any wi-fi network, so you won’t just connect to any public Wi-Fi blindly.
Is it safe to use Avast Antivirus?
Avast Antivirus for Windows, Mac, and Android are all designed specifically to make sure your devices are protected, so it is very safe to use.
Is Avast Free Antivirus fake?
There are fake antivirus programs in the market that are free to download, then are actually just malware posing as antivirus programs. When you install these fake security software programs, they will hijack your computer and worse, your wallet.
Avast’s free antivirus is NOT fake. It is legit. Just make sure to download your copy from the official Avast website or other trusted third-party websites.
Avast Premium Security
Avast Premium Security adds a lot of functionality to the free version. Every paid Avast program features the following:
- Auto-scans your computer to detect viruses, malware, password vulnerabilities, suspicious files, and so on.
- Detects and blocks malware, viruses, spyware, adware, and phishing threats in real time
- Isolates suspicious and unknown files in the cloud through its “CyberCapture” feature
- Protects your machine from infected emails and emails containing dangerous attachments
- Updates programs on your PC, so you are always using the most up-to-date version
- Prevents scammers and malicious sites from tricking you into clicking on phishing traps.
- Protects you from ransomware
- Offers a “Do Not Disturb” mode to keep notifications away while you’re busy or playing games.
- Keeps all your passwords safe in one “locker” so you only have to remember one master password.
- Analyzes networks and Wi-Fi connections
- Cleans your browser from sketchy add-ons/extensions, toolbars, and so on
- Shopping online is safer because Avast prevents you from making purchases on fake sites
- Prevents surveillance of spying eyes via your computer’s webcam
- Protects your personal information (such as medical data, tax info, birthdays, etc) written on files and documents
- Shreds data permanently to prevent compromising your privacy
Avast Premium Security Review
Avast Premium Security is a full-featured antivirus program that’s ideal for all devices. The paid version is available both on the mobile version and desktop version.
No matter the platform, whether you’re a Mac user or Windows user, one of the biggest advantages of Avast is that it is very easy to use. Avast’s intuitive “one-click” interface makes it super-easy even for beginners.
Avast had some questionable data-harvesting past, but the company is making up for it now. Plus, the premium version scores extremely well in lab tests, making it a safe and trusted choice for your devices.
Unfortunately, all these premium features do come at a price. Avast Premium isn’t the cheapest paid antivirus in the market. But I recommend it for people who use the internet daily on multiple devices and small businesses whose clients connect to them online.
How to use Avast Antivirus
Hopefully, now you have the answer to the question, “Should I Use Avast Antivirus?”. Regardless of whether you use Avast Antivirus on your phone, as the main browser extension to protect your online browsing, or on your computer, using Avast is a set-and-forget program.
How to use Avast Free antivirus on your Phone
- Download it on Google Play (or the App Store if you’re using an Apple or iOs device). Install and open.
- Tap “Scan now.” Choose “Allow” to give Avast Mobile Security access to your device.
- Wait for your phone to scan.
- Enable “Automatic scanning” so it will scan your phone once daily.
How to use Free Avast antivirus
- Visit Avast.com.
- Download the free program by clicking the green “Download FREE Program” button, which should take you to the download page where Avast will select the correct file for your computer.
- Run and install the Avast setup file.
- Open the program (either double-click the icon from your desktop or find it from the start menu).
- Choose the “Status” or “scan” tab on the menu.
- Run a “smart scan” (or “full scan” if you’re using Mac).
- Wait for the scan to complete. If there are no issues, you could close the program already. If there is an issue, Avast will recommend what to do.
How do I use Avast Antivirus on Windows 10?
Follow the download and installation steps from above.
If you have premium Avast, MAKE SURE TO ACTIVATE YOUR SUBSCRIPTION. This will unlock all other premium features that aren’t available on the free version. Once your key code is activated, make sure the following are enabled on your Avast copy:
- Real Site (auto-blocks fake sites)
- Built-in Firewall (auto-check and auto-block connections)
- Sandbox (scans apps or programs first to check if it has malicious content and protects your device from causing issues)
- File protection
- Email security
- Webcam security
- Data shredder
How do I contact Avast customer service?
Avast also has a comprehensive knowledge base. Check your topic of concern here first. If there is no information or you’d rather talk to customer service, go here for a quick survey and your preferred communication platform (whether email or phone call).
You can also call Avast directly at:
- 855-745-3255 US
- +44 800 048 8941 UK
- +611 800 673 935 AU
After installing the free Avast Antivirus (for Windows), it will be automatically activated for one year. You can use it freely without charge, but after 12 months, a prompt will tell you to activate again to continue using Avast Free Antivirus.
Fortunately, it’s very easy to reactivate. You just have to follow these steps:
* Right-click on the orange Avast icon in the notification area of your Windows taskbar. Select “Registration information.”
* Go to the “My Subscriptions” tab and find the green “Upgrade now” button and click it.
* Hover on the Avast Free Antivirus column and click “Select” at the bottom.
* You’re done. You can double-check if your Free Avast is activated by clicking the X icon, which leads you back to the My Subscriptions screen.
You can use the basic Iolo System Mechanic with Avast Antivirus with no problem.
However, if you’re using the more advanced versions (such as Iolo System Mechanic Professional), which are created with a built-in antivirus, the program may interrupt Avast’s activities and cause errors.
No, Avast is a Czech cybersecurity software company. It is headquartered in Prague, Czech Republic, but serves over 400 million users worldwide.
If your Avast was installed on your computer, an icon should be in the notification area of your Windows taskbar. Once you’ve seen the Avast icon, right-click on it and select “About Avast.” You can also go to the Control panel> Programs and Features> Avast to check its exact location.
Avast isn’t a virus. It is an Anti-virus program designed to detect and block viruses from getting into your computer or other devices.
Avast has a feature called “AntiTrack Premium,” which is designed to let users know when they are being tracked and WHO is tracking them.
This feature helps in keeping your identity private, so advertisers won’t target you when promoting certain products or services. Avast erases the cookie trail you leave when browsing the web, so every time you end a browsing session, no third-party sites will be able to see what you visited, what you bought, or what you searched for.
Avast’s AntiTrack feature is built into the Avast Secure Browser, on Avast’s Premium Antivirus, and independently (you can install it separately from the main antivirus program).
To uninstall Avast antivirus from Windows, follow these steps:
* Right-click the Windows Start
* Select Apps and Features from the menu that appears.
* Find and Click Avast Free Antivirus
* Select “Uninstall”
If you’re trying to uninstall Avast from your device, it should uninstall successfully how you ordinarily remove apps from your device.
The Avast Antivirus for Android actually does the opposite – it has a Battery Saver feature that lets users stop apps with just one tap. This essentially speeds up your device, saves battery life, and boosts your phone’s performance.