As far as the saying goes, you cannot improve something if you cannot measure it. Even though this may not be true in case of everything, when it comes to SEO and digital marketing, this is specifically so. If you cannot measure how well your digital marketing campaigns are running, you cannot prepare any strategies to improve them and reap more results.
UTM tags, which is also called as UTM codes and UTM parameters are simple text codes added to the URL of a web page to get details of how a visitor lands to a web page. The key web analytical solutions like Google Analytics can parse these codes to store the information to give you a better insight into the visitor traffic routes.
You may have seen UTM tags in many URLs, but may not have been recognized as to what is purpose is. Once if you append UTM tags to all your website URLs including that of social media pages, paid campaigns, and other digital marketing campaigns, you can receive accurate performance reports to assess the traffic to your website, its sources, and the performance of your marketing online and offline marketing campaigns.
How do UTM tags work?
The UTM tracking process goes like below:
- A visitor clicks on a link at social media page or blog article, which leads to your landing page.
- While the visitor lands on your site, Google Analytics captures UTM tags and associated values of it to store them for analysis and reporting.
- As Google Analytics can record the UTM tags, you can further group the metrics to analyze it and get a deeper insight into the nature of your visitor traffic.
This approach enables business marketers to fine-tune your ability to measure the effectiveness of various campaigns accurately. By understanding the quality and quantity of visitors through different channels can further help you to optimize the campaigns for more results.
- The marketers can link all traffic sources, social media channels, advertising platforms and even customer-specific promotional campaigns to the Google Analytics through UTM tags.
- It is possible to determine which all links visitors have clicked and it is also possible to assess which all links within a single mail or post visitors tend to click more.
- Marketers can also effectively compare the impact of various individual campaigns across various channels.
- Evaluate how various channels perform in terms of a given campaign or a unique set of campaigns.
- You can assess how specific keywords perform at paid ad campaigns.
Now as you know what the UTM tags can do why they are important, you can further move on to choosing the appropriate values which you can use for each UTM tag. You can amend the tag as a utm_source parameter to the URL, whereas the parameters can be Facebook, Instagram, Google ads, Taboola, Outbrain among other sources.
You can also define the utm_medium parameters as paid, social, video, email, etc. Next, you can include the utm_content parameter also like top banner or, etc. The utm_term values will also be kept as specific to the top keywords you use in paid ads. Planning these well, you can move on to creating the links and start using the UTM-enriched links for analysis.
You might also like